Basic Insurance Questions To Ask Your Insurance Company Before Your First Office Visit
New guidelines stemming from the Affordable Care Act (ACA) have created more individual insurance plans than our clinic can keep track of, especially as Hands On Medicine continues to provide more integrated services. For example, let’s say you have a Moda insurance plan (previously known as ODS). Hands On Medicine is in-network with Moda and all our providers are credentialed with Moda. Since the ACA however, Moda has created new plans that are a little less expensive than other plans but limit which facility you can be seen at. These limited provider plans are becoming more and more prevalent, so before you schedule your first appointment here are some questions to ask your insurance company.
- Call the member number on the back of your insurance card.
- Ask the customer service specialist at your insurance company these questions:
- Is my insurance plan in-network with Hands On Medicine?
- How many illness visits do I have left on my calendar year?
- How many wellness visits do I have left on my calendar year?
- What is my copay?
- Do I have a co-insurance amount, and if so what percentage do I pay and for what services?
- Do I need to meet a deductible to use my benefits? If so, how much is the deductible and how much have I already met?
- Does my plan cover mental health visits?
- Is my mental health insurance plan in-network with Hands On Medicine?
- Does my plan cover acupuncture?
- Does my plan cover massage therapy?
Health Reform Explained: “Health Reform Hits Main Street”
Understanding Your Deductible Plan