Hands On Medicine endeavors to empower patients, prevent disease, collaborate on interventions, promote healthy lifestyles, and teach disease management. Our goal is to contribute to and sustain healthy families and communities through long-term clinical practice, policy creation, and political advocacy, and provide living wage employment, help achieve professional aspirations, increase knowledge base, and create a healthy work environment.
Family Nurse Practitioner
Our progressive neighborhood primary care clinic is looking for a FAMILY NURSE PRACTITIONER to join our team. Minimum two-year commitment.
We are a nurse practitioner-owned and operated practice seeking a Family Nurse Practitioner who wants to contribute to a unique clinic environment that prioritizes relationships, community, justice, and quality of care. Hands on Medicine seeks to be an oasis of integrative and relationship-driven primary healthcare amidst a sea of corporate and hospital assembly-line style practices. We encourage a strong patient-provider relationship and strive for longer patient appointments over a revolving-door business model. Our clinic policies are designed to promote long-term sustainable practice and work-life balance.
Get back to why you chose to work in healthcare.
- Nurse practitioners see 10-14 patients in an 8 hour shift
- 30 minute office visits, 45 minute wellness and procedure visits
- Reasonable patient panels including single adults, families, and children
- Opportunities for practice at the top of your licensure and professional development
- Small team dynamic fostering close working relationships
- Team-style organizational decision making; your voice matters!
- Approachable and friendly providers who value medical assistant contributions
- High value on personal safety; all PPE provided including N95 masks
- Emotional PPE: Zero tolerance of abuse, harassment, discrimination, bullying from staff or patients
- On site yoga twice weekly
- Neurodivergent, disabled, LGBTQ, people of color encouraged to apply
This is a 32 hour/week position with full-time benefits (retirement plan, PTO, medical and dental insurance plan) and a regular schedule. Clinic will be open Monday through Thursday 7 am to 6pm, Friday 7am to 5pm, and the position we are hiring for is 4 days/week.
- Charting and coding experience
- Masters of Science in Nursing, completion of accredited Nurse Practitioner program, unencumbered State Licensure and DEA License
- Current healthcare provider CPR/BLS
- 2 years Primary Care experience as a Nurse Practitioner
- Experienced in the primary care of adults and children
- Experience interpreting lab results, EKGs, and diagnostic images
- EHR experience
Preferred Job Requirements
- Familiarity with Portland metro community resources
- Live in the neighborhood!
- Credentialed with Medicaid and most private payers (Regence, Providence, Moda, Cigna, etc)
- PALS and ACLS
- Experience as a Registered Nurse
Physical Demands, Equipment Usage & Working Conditions
- The work environment carries a risk of exposure to human tissues/fluids on a daily basis
- Ability to lift, bend, stoop, reach, carry, push, pull and walk throughout the work period
- Ability to lift and carry 35 lbs. independently and 50 lbs. with assistance
- Ability to stand continuously for entire shift
- Must be able to use all senses: seeing, hearing, touching, smelling, and speaking
- Must be able to deal with competing needs and priorities of patients and co-workers, including making judgments regarding ensuring the safe conditions of patients, families, and other personnel
- Must be able to deal with frequent interruptions, multiple demands, and busy environment
- Ability to use all clinic approved equipment
Job Description/Duties: Family Nurse Practitioner
A Nurse Practitioner (NP) at Hands On Medicine (HOM) is an advanced practice nurse that works independently but part of a team to manage all aspects of patient care, including diagnosis, treatments and consultations. While the staff position is within an out-patient clinic, occasional hospital admissions and care collaboration with referral agencies and clinicians may be required.
The NP will perform the important task of educating patients about preventative care and the prescribed treatments including medications. The nurse practitioner will conduct physical exams both acute and preventative; order and interpret diagnostic tests; and serve as a patient’s primary healthcare provider. Hands On Medicine NPs are generalists committed to the care of the entire family through all stages of life including acute illness and illness, and preventative care.
The NP provides patient care primarily through face-to-face office visits and telemedicine visits.
Our NPs provide manage after-hours on-call telephone triage on a rotating schedule, an average of 1 week per month, with generally 0-5 calls per week.
The NPs advises support staff regarding the administrative management of patients; oversees all telephone triage; and may delegate lab collection and some procedures including vaccine administration to Certified Medical Assistants (CMA).
The NP is responsible for all medication refills and dispensing and the ordering and interpretation of all diagnostics. The NPs may delegate teaching and informing patients of diagnostic results to the CMA.
- 401(k) matching
- Continuing education credits
- Dental insurance
- Flexible schedule
- Health insurance
- Malpractice insurance
- Paid time off
- Retirement plan
- Vision insurance